Keynote Speakers feedback on SDF seminar held on 2nd Oct 2022—150th Seminar—Urology theme
A summary note of the 150th seminar of SDF held on 2nd Oct 2022 at Mel Mana Gardens—Ooramana—Kerala-India.
As usual the seminar started at 4 PM and after the initial proceedings like prayer, self-introduction of participants , welcome address and the presidential address by our patron Hon Justice Dr. K Narayana Kurup, the keynote speaker Dr. George P Abraham addressed the audience for 45 minutes. It was followed by a supportive keynote address by Hon Air Marshal Dr. P Madhusoodanan and the interface with the audience was moderated by Rev Dr. Abraham Mulamoottil lasting for nearly one hour. The take home points were shared by Dr. Mathew Abraham. Dr. PO Abraham proposed the vote of thanks. As luck would have it , this time SDF had the rare privilege to celebrate the birthday of six of its patrons including Dr. KM George, Dr. George P Abraham, Dr. TA Varkey, Er PJ Varghese, Mr Pulikkal Thomas and MM George sir by cutting cakes. The meeting ended with a dinner hosted in the honour of the participants as we were meeting for the first time after the covid-19 pandemic.
Gist of the deliberations:
1) Every male after the age of 50 years may encounter some prostate enlargement problems. At times people may experience total block in urination, acute retention and chronic retention of urine. Here it needs medical attention. It may be mostly benign and at times malignant. If treated well at the early stages medicines can help , failing which surgical intervention is the way out. Surgery can be either conventional invasive or minimal invasive. However, robotic assisted surgery is also forthcoming for those who can afford in India. Resume therapy is forthcoming known as Boston Scientific, though very expensive as explained by the keynote speaker.
2) PSA—Prostate Specific Antigen test to begin with is critically important to address this malady.
3) Prostate ailments if not treated may lead to kidney related issues like stones and kidney transplantations. Nonetheless, post -void residue would determine the next course of action.
4) Water intake is very crucial to flush out the toxins form the body and the up keep of the kidneys intact and healthy. One glass of water every hour after wakeup to sleep if practiced may save precious lives.
5) Drinking water varies from person to person and season to season. Those who are suffering from diabetes, liver and cardiac problems must consult the doctors about the diet and water intake and exercise.
6) When blood is noticed in urine, one must consult the doctor for asserting the cause instead of ignoring it. One may be asked to undergo CT scan MRI scan or even bladder cystography as judged by the doctor.
7) It is worthwhile to get to know the various jargons used in the common parlors by medical staff like cystoscopy, biopsy, urea creatine, etc.
8) Prostate cancer can be addressed by hormone treatment along with other medicines. It is said that laser treatments are very much useful for stones . Again, radical radiation is said to be very good as well.
9) Care must be taken to address the comorbid conditions of the patient while deciding the treatment regime.
10) The bladder neck may at times create problems even in the case of post -operative conditions in the urine smooth flow.
11) All must imbibe a certain degree of scientific temper in our medical approach so that evidence-based medicines are to be used instead of running after hear says healing systems. However, yoga like relaxation and meditations may be encouraged for self and families.
Responses form the Doctors and Participants:
Dr. George P Abraham,
Thank you very much for giving an opportunity to be with you in SDF . You are a wonderful organizer , a well matured organizer in the conduct of the meeting—it is well appreciated. Happy to hear that it was an enjoyable speech. We will keep in touch with. Once again thank you very much.
Air Marshal Dr. P Madhusoodanan
We are back in Trivandrum .
Myself and my wife would like to thank you and your team profusely for a wonderful evening with active participants , conducted extremely professionally . We thoroughly enjoyed it and would like to express our gratitude once again. 🙏
Dr. KPP Nambiar ( Former UN FAO Expert)
Awesome appreciation for an amazing organizer!💐👍🙏😄
GREATER PIRAVOM🇮🇳 SDF, lecture by Dr. George P. Abraham yesterday was very informative.